Slow Cooker Smoky Cheddar & BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese
Chef knife or paring knife
5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Loot N’ Booty BBQ Everything Rub (can be purchased on our products page)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 box (16 ounces) mini penne
- 1 package (8 ounces) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 package (8 ounces) smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Burnt Finger Smokey Kansas City BBQ sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken and 1 tablespoon Everything Rub. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, stir the remaining ingredients, except onions and BBQ sauce, if using. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or until the sauce is thickened and pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve mac and cheese garnished with onions along with BBQ sauce for drizzling, if desired. Makes about 10 cups.
To delay the start time up to 2 hours, plug the slow cooker into an automatic timer and set the timer to start within the 2 hours. Make sure the ingredients are well chilled before adding them to the slow cooker; never delay the cooking time more than 2 hours.
Get your gourmet BBQ game on with this dish by topping it with buttery cornbread crumbs, crispy fried onions and/or crushed kale chips.
- Serving Size
- 1 serving (1 cup)
- per serving
- 39 grams
- 152 milligrams
- 947 milligrams
- 59 grams
- 2 grams
- 14 grams
- 43 grams