Greek-Style Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
Large heavy-bottomed stockpot
Citrus zester or cheese grater
- 4 containers (32 ounces each) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Fergolicious BBQ SPG LUV All-Purpose Blend
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large, heavy bottomed stockpot, heat the stock over medium-high heat until simmering. Add the chicken breasts and simmer 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the chicken reaches 165°F. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cool slightly and shred with two forks.
- In the same stockpot with stock, add the rice and simmer 8 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice, Fergolicious Blend and zest. Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- Gradually ladle 1 cup of the hot stock-rice mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly, then add the rice-egg mixture back to the stockpot, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes or until the soup is slightly thickened, whisking frequently. Add the shredded chicken to the soup. Makes about 14 cups.
- Serve soup topped with the parsley and pepper.
- Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 cup): 159 Calories, 2g Fat (1g Saturated), 59mg Cholesterol, 436mg Sodium, 19g Carbohydrates, 0g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 15g Protein
Use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment to save time whisking egg whites.
Do not rinse the rice before adding it to the stock because the starch in the rice helps thicken the soup.