Cuban-Inspired Crab Cake Po’ Boys with Mojo Slaw
- Line a cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Place ½ cup of the breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg; stir in ¼ cup of the mayonnaise, onion, cilantro, lime juice, 1 teaspoon Mojo Rub and the remaining ¾ cup of the breadcrumbs. Gently fold in the crab meat and let stand 10 minutes. Form the crab mixture into 8 (2-inch) cakes. Dip crab cakes into breadcrumbs to coat both sides and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Cover the crab cakes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, orange juice, orange zest, and the remaining ¼ cup of the mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Mojo Rub. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Makes about 2½ cups.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the crab cakes and cook 8 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the crab cakes reaches 165°F, turning once. Transfer the crab cakes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cut the rolls horizontally in half, but do not cut all the way through. Fill the rolls with the crab cakes and Mojo Slaw; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Crab cakes can be cooked, wrapped individually with plastic wrap and frozen for up to 3 weeks. Thaw and reheat in a skillet or oven until a thermometer inserted into the crab cakes reaches 165°F.
If substituting canned crab meat, rinse the crab meat thoroughly in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel before mixing with the crab cake ingredients.
- Serving Size
- 1 sandwich
- per serving
- 32 grams
- 149 milligrams
- 1260 milligrams
- 59 grams
- 2 grams
- 7 grams
- 26 grams