Mustardy Caramelized Onion & Butternut Squash Gratin
8½ x 11-inch baking dish
Chef knife or paring knife
Rimmed baking pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons melted
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Rub Some Butt™ Carolina Seasoning
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°; spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons of un-melted butter over medium-high heat and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the mustard, sugar and ¼ cup water.
- Cook the onion mixture 15 minutes or until the onions are very soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, 1 tablespoon Carolina Seasoning and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Spread the squash in a single layer on a rimmed baking pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Transfer the squash to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir the cheese, breadcrumbs, and remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon Carolina Seasoning. Top the squash mixture with the onion mixture and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake the gratin 15 minutes or until the squash is tender and top is golden brown; garnish with onion, if desired. Makes about 6 cups.
To make this dish ahead of time, don’t top the gratin with the breadcrumbs. Cover and refrigerate the gratin and breadcrumb mixture separately for up to 2 days. To prepare the gratin, sprinkle it with the breadcrumb mixture and bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45 minutes or until it’s heated through, squash is tender and top is golden brown.
Try replacing Gruyère cheese with different cheeses such as smoked Gouda, Monterey Jack and/or smoked Cheddar.
- Serving Size
- 1 serving (3/4 cup)
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 8 grams
- 23 milligrams
- 385 milligrams
- 19 grams
- 3 grams
- 5 grams
- 4 grams