Insane Balsamic-Marinated Steaks with Vegetable Packets`
4 (12-inch square) sheets heavy-duty aluminum foil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp Three Little Pigs All Purpose BBQ Rub
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- ½ large red onion, sliced
- 2 medium orange, red and/or yellow bell peppers, sliced
- ½ medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 (6-ounce) top sirloin steaks
- In a medium bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons Three Little Pigs All Purpose BBQ Rub.
- Place the vegetables in a large zip-tight plastic bag; pour half the marinade into the bag. Place 2 steaks in each of 2 large zip-tight plastic bags; pour half the remaining marinade into each bag.
- Seal the bags, pressing out excess air. Massage the vegetables and steaks in the bag with the marinade; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat (350°F) for 15 minutes.
- Place 4 (12-inch square) sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil on work surface. With slotted spoon, evenly divide vegetables onto center of each foil sheet; evenly sprinkle vegetables with remaining 2 teaspoons Three Little Pigs All Purpose BBQ Rub.
- For each packet, bring top and bottom sides of foil together over vegetables; crimp together and fold down over vegetables. Double fold both ends of packets toward vegetables.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Oil a clean kitchen towel and use tongs to coat the hot grill grate with oil. Use tongs to place the steaks on the hot grill grate. Use a large spatula to place the vegetable packets on the hot grill grate.
- Cook the steaks, covered, 6 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the steaks reaches 125°F for medium-rare, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board; loosely cover with aluminum foil and let stand 10 minutes to allow juices to redistribute before slicing.
- Cook the vegetable packets, covered, 12 minutes. Use tongs to turn the vegetable packets once halfway through cooking.
- To serve, slice the steaks across the grain and serve with vegetables.
Any moisture on the steaks will prevent them from browning. Pat the steaks with paper towel before cooking to ensure the surface is dry for a deeper sear on the outside.
Allowing the cooked steaks to stand before slicing helps retain their juices. The internal temperature will rise 5° to 10°F upon standing (also known as carryover cooking). To ensure the correct desired doneness, remove the steaks from the grill 5° to 10°F below the desired final internal temperature. Remove the steaks from the grill at the following temperatures: 135°F for medium, 140°F for medium-well, 150°F for well done.
Serve vegetables in foil packets for easy cleanup.
To cook the steaks on the stovetop/in the oven, heat a large cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and heat until hot. Add the marinated steaks and cook until the outside is seared, turning once. Transfer the steaks to a roasting rack over a baking sheet and roast in a 400°F oven until the desired doneness is reached.
To cook the vegetable packets in the oven, place packets on a rimmed baking pan and roast at 400°F for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.