We are experiencing some longer than usual shipping times, please allow up to 4 weeks before your order is shipped. Thanks for your patience.
Portobello Caprese Burgers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Three Little Pigs All Purpose BBQ Rub
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Vegetable oil (for grill)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 burger or sandwich buns
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat (350°F) for 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar and Three Little Pigs All Purpose BBQ Rub .
- Wipe the tops of mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Place the mushrooms in a large zip-tight plastic bag; pour the oil mixture into the bag. Seal the bag, pressing out excess air. Massage the mushrooms in the bag with the marinade. Let the mushrooms stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Oil a clean kitchen towel and use tongs to coat the hot grill grate with oil. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade. Use tongs to place the mushrooms gill side up on the hot grill grate. Cook the mushrooms, uncovered, for 14 minutes. Turn the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes longer. Place 1 slice of cheese over each mushroom. Cook the mushrooms, covered, 2 minutes longer or until the cheese melts.
- Place the mushrooms on the bottom buns. Evenly top the mushrooms with tomatoes, basil sprigs and top buns.
Mushrooms are very porous and absorb moisture easily. Do not wash or soak them in water or they will become soggy.
To easily remove the stem from a mushroom, gently rock the stem back and forth until it releases.
If time allows, let the mushrooms stand 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 2 hours in the marinade.
To toast the buns, place them cut side down on the hot grill grate during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
Try sundried tomatoes, olive tapenade or roasted garlic on your burgers.
To cook the mushrooms in the oven, place them gill side up in a baking dish and bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Turn the mushrooms, top with cheese, and broil 1 minute or just until the cheese melts.