Orange-Ginger Chicken Fajitas
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup peanut oil
- 6 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3½ Tbsp Rub Some Rib
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 (10-oz.) package matchstick carrots
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 fajita size flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove the tenderloin on the underside of each chicken breast. Lay chicken between plastic wrap on a cutting board. Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to ¾-inch thick. Cut the chicken into ½-inch-thick slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk ½ cup oil, orange juice, 2 tablespoons Rub Some Rib and ginger. Add the chicken and toss to coat; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, toss the carrots, mushrooms, onion, 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 1½ tablespoons Rub Some Rib. Roast the vegetables 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- In 2 batches, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook 5 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken reaches 165°F, stirring frequently. Transfer the chicken to bowl; keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken.
- Serve chicken and vegetables in tortillas.
A cast iron or stainless steel skillet works well to ensure a hot surface to cook the chicken quickly.
Cooking the chicken in 2 batches ensures that the chicken is seared evenly rather than steamed in an overcrowded pan.
It’s important that the oil is hot before adding the chicken to the skillet for a better sear.
To warm the tortillas, stack them on large microwave-safe plate between 2 damp paper towels. Heat in the microwave for 35 seconds or until warm.
Serve topped with sour cream and sliced fresh jalapeño peppers.