Grilled Pineapple With Rum Glaze
- 1 Ripe Pineapple, with leaves on
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry BBQ Rub™.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Rum
- Pineapple Chunks*
- PREPARING THE PINEAPPLE
- Place pineapple, base down on a cutting board.
- Using a the chef's knife carefully slice directly down the center of the pineapple to separate it into equal 2 inch halves, each half should still have leaves on it after slicing.
- Lay each half pineapple (sliced side up) on cutting board exposing the core.
- Using the kitchen utility knife, angle the knife tip into the pineapple ¼ inch from the leaves and top and the slice down the right edge of the core to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Repeat step 4 on the left side of the core going deep enough so that both cuts intersect in a V under the core.
- Cut across the top of the core and the bottom of the core, about ¼ inch from edges so the core is loose.
- Lift out the core out and discard.
- Cut across and into the pineapple flesh at 1 inch intervals, stopping about ¼ inch from the outside edge and the skin on both sides and the bottom.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the 1 inch sections from the pineapple, leaving a hollowed out pineapple cup, reserve these pineapple 'cups' for the cooking/assembly step below.
- Cut each of the sections into 1 inch cubes and reserve.
- Place the vanilla extract, brown sugar and Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry BBQ Rub into the large Ziploc bag.
- Seal the bag and gently shake to mix the ingredients together and help the sugar to dissolve.
- Unseal the bag and add the pineapple chunks* and rum.
- Re-seal and let the pineapple to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat a covered grill.
- Un-seal the Ziploc bag and carefully pour the marinade into the saucepan, reserving the pineapple chunks*
- Set the saucepan with the marinade over medium heat, standing well away from the stove top until the rum ignites.
- Let the flame die completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Stirring as needed simmer the marinade until it is reduced to about ½ a cup.
- Lower the heat and reserve, keeping warm.
- Remove the pineapple chunks from the bag arrange them in the reserved pineapple halves.
- Place the pineapple halves face up on the grill.
- Grill pineapples halves on medium heat until the tops of the pineapple chunks start to caramelize.
- Transfer the pineapple halves to a serving dish.
- Top with the reserved marinade sauce and serve.
This dish can be served as an interesting side dish or as a dessert with ice cream.
Aluminum saucepans react negatively with vinegar or citrus juices and produce off flavors. Use stainless steel pans or enameled pans wherever possible.
If you want a softer texture you can turn the pieces of pineapple with tongs at mid point during the grilling process.
KC Butt Spice Rub
Rub Some Heat on Your Meat Rub™