Prime Rib Roast
July 19, 2016
- Yields: 6 to 8 Servings
1Preheat the oven to 450° degrees Fahrenheit/230º Celsius.
2Place the rib roast on a a half sheet pan. Cover the top with Three Little Pigs Memphis BBQ Rub and press with finger tips to pack spice down.
3Transfer the rib roast to a roasting pan and stand it rib side down. Place the roasting pan into the oven on a low shelf. After 5 minutes reduce the oven heat to 325° degrees Fahrenheit/160º Celsius
4Roast, checking the temperature with meat thermometer at regular intervals after the first hour of roasting. When the temperature reaches within 15º degrees Fahrenheit/10º degrees Celsius of the desired temperature, remove the rib roast from the oven and set it on the counter to halt the roasting, it will continue to cook as it rests and should reach your final temperature goal within the next 15 to 20 minutes.
5Let it rest for another 15 minutes before slicing into portions.
- An entire rib section of beef has 12 bones. Rib Roasts are sold as a 2,3,4,5, 6 or 7 Rib-Roasts. A 3 Rib Roast as used in this recipe should average 6 to 7 lbs. before cooking, and will generously serve 6 people or adequately serve 8.
- For a conventional oven calculate 20 minutes of roasting time per pound of meat
- For a convection oven the cooking required time will be less and will depend on whether the oven is a commercial style or domestic,, So cook to internal temperature vs. time measurement.
- Temperature - measure temperature by inserting the meat thermometer into the center of the roast, stopping at the center of the eye.
- Cooking Temperature Chart
Medium Rare - 135° Fahrenheit/57º Celsius
Medium – Cool Pink Center - 140º Fahrenheit/60º Celsius
Medium – Hot Pink Center - 145º Fahrenheit/63º Celsius
Medium Well - 150º Fahrenheit/66º Celsius
Well Done - 160° Fahrenheit/71º Celsius
KC Butt Spice ™ or Old World Steak Rub
Patrick McDonnell Photography